Progress Update #4 - Improvements, Backgrounds + Colour Issues


Some general updates on Jack in the Box concerning animation progress, backgrounds and my problems with colour! I've been really enjoying using TVPaint again this year to animate, and find myself improving with each shot I complete. I'm still not happy with my speed in animating, but as someone who doesn't want to work as an animator professionally, I'm just happy that I'm enjoying the process and actually looking forward to making more short films just for fun in the future. Below are some screenshots of my progress, both rough passes and a slightly more finished shot with a 'clown pass' to dictate where the final colours will go.

Colour has been another struggle for me. My favourite part of the film process is creating the backgrounds, and I really wanted to make colour pop in the film, but I'm realising I just don't have the time or speed to make that happen successfully. Instead, I've been watching a lot of black-and-white films to get some ideas for lighting and perspective, as well as the look of the old fancy manor, and it's inspired me to forego colour entirely. I've decided to keep the film in black and white, trying to focus on shadows and light instead for atmosphere. I've created a page of inspirations to keep track of various films which have been helpful in this decision.