Progress Update #3 - A Rough Start

Beginning animation on Jack in the Box was difficult as it took several ideas to really get going and settle on this one. I've written a beat outline and rough script for the film, and also found another student via MOVE Summit from a different university who is a sound designer. I think my film will rely fairly heavily on sound effects, as I'm unsure where I land on the use of music at the moment. A close friend of mine who studied composition at university and is really talented at guitar has agreed to do the music for my film, but I'm honestly unsure how it would fit in with the pace of the film. I'm concerned that the voice-over is an important part of the story-telling, and doesn't leave a lot of room for music. On the other hand, I'm also worried that I can easily become too reliant on the voice-over telling the story overtly where music could be more subtle. Something really pushing me to want to do VA is one of my favourite short animated films;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUmkf_l38fA

- There's a Man in the Woods by Jacob Streilein

Although the film uses music alongside the VA, I think it's the voice that really sells it. Though this is largely due to the fact it uses poetry, I think a confident voice actor would make Jack in the Box a lot more interesting. 

At the moment I'm struggling to find a VA that would be willing to work for free or at a low cost, I really want a specific type of voice (older male, American accent) but know it'll be difficult to find that especially on a budget, so I'm unsure what to do in that regard.

Overall, animation is going quicker than I've been able to do before but I'm still very slow and unconfident. I'm hoping that the more I work on the project the more confident I'll become in it actually being finished. I already suspect I'll have to change a fair amount from my original storyboard/animatic
in order to complete the film in time, but I'm trying to stick to the schedule I made as best I can.

Below is some of the pre-development work, as well as the very first rough background I did as I've yet to upload it here anywhere.