Progress Update #2 - Character Design
Below is some character development from my film project, Jack-in-the-Box. The story is an adaptation of Ray Bradbury's short story of the same name; one of my favourites of his vast collection of shorts. There were quite a few of his stories I think would've worked really well as animations but this one called to me because of the dynamic between the two main characters - the young boy, Edwin, and his mother. I had wanted to explore mother-child relationships in my previous film idea and Bradbury did an excellent job at portraying this in a way that felt both empathetic and cutting.
Edwin
Mother
I'm basing the design of Mother on a few sources; I want her to come across as sympathetic and kind but also potentially scary. To do that I'm using dresses from the early to mid 20th century which could range from floral and freeing to quite intense and sleek. Mother's wardrobe can vary from around 1910-1930; she holds onto old clothes like memories, but also spends her wealth on the newest fashions when she likes. Her hair is inspired by hairstyles of that same period, as well as my own mother's from my childhood. This design is still a work in progress.
.jpg)

.jpg)


